Mattel’s sustainability goals established in 2012 help guide our efforts to improving our citizenship performance. We are excited to achieve many of our goals earlier than we expected and Mattel is in the process of developing 2020 Citizenship Goals.
Reduce the environmental impact of our products
Target: Achieve $25 Million of sales of products that incorporate an environmental enhancement gained through innovation.
An environmental enhancement includes includes at least one of the following:
- 5% reduction by weight of the finished product.
- Substitue an existing product or packaging material with an alternative which has improved sustainable credentials (e.g. sustainably certified, recycled or from a renewable resource).
- Manufactured using at least 25% renewable energy (in excess of the mandatory renewable energy mix imposed by regulation).
- A change that enables all or a portion of the product to be recycled.
* The sales targe is cumulative and includes any enhancement of a product or package from January 1, 2012.
Reduce the environmental impact of our packaging
Target: Improve our packaging material efficiency by 5% by 2015.
Material efficiency is calculated as the percentage change in packaging material savings generated from both primary and secondary packaging against a baseline year of 2011 packaging material spend.
* Primary packaging includes the packaging which the item sold is contained and is the packaging seen by consumers. Secondary packaging includes the packaging associated with shipping and transport of the product to retailers.
Target: Increase the amount of recycled or sustainably-sourced paper and wood fiber in our packaging to 85% by 2015 as defined by our sustainable sourcing principles.
Mattel strives to source 100% of its fiber from non-controversial sources as defined in our sustainability sourcing principles.
* Refer to our Sustainability Sourcing Principles for more information.
Decrease Carbon Emissions
Target: Reduce our normalized carbon emissions by 40% by 2015 and 50% by 2020.
Carbon emissions include scope 1 & 2 GHG emissions calculated in accordance with GHG Protocol. Emission reductions are calculated from owned an doperated facilities including manufacturing, distribution centers, and corporate locations over 20,000 square feet and normalized to sales over a 2008 baseline.
Promote a Culture of Sustainable Growth
Target: Create opportunities to engage employees and communities in which we operate about their role in protecting our environment.
- The number of employees that participated in an environmental activity held by Mattel per year.
- The hours volunteered for environmental projects for the year.
- Number of locations that have a SEEDS (Sustainability for Employee Engagement & Development) or green team.
- Number of local partnerships or activities where Mattel is supporting environmental awareness among children and families.
Maintain commitment to giving 2% pre-tax profits annually, through a combination of cash and in-kind donations
Bring play opportunities to 10 million children in need by 2015
Increase percentage of overall social impact funding dedicated to addressing the barriers to play to 75% annually by 2015
Our Citizenship Key Performance Measures